Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Being Plus is Not a Minus

 

Being plus size should not be a negative or hidden asset. This contributes to body shaming and assumptions that are discriminatory and harmful. I usually make jokes during my frustration because it's how I cope. I have always been plus size since I was younger. The difference is, we didn't have plus size for kids or stylish clothes for plus size until after I became an adult. I used to shop at places like Fashion Bug, Dots, Lane Bryant, and Deb (all of which are gone now or rare in existence). There aren't many places for a plus size woman like myself to shop where we have a variety of options according to our style and price range. 

I used to work at Boscov's in Granite Run Mall in their plus size section titled Women's World which was located on the first floor toward the back, hidden from plain view. When you enter the store by the shoe department, the first departments to catch your eye are shoes, lingerie, misses, handbags and accessories, and dresses. If you happen to look to your left, stretching back, you will see Women's World. In fact, just about any department store that carries plus size clothing is usually not in immediate sight of the customers. It seems kind of shameful, don't you think? It's also not only department stores but any store that carries plus size usually has plus size customers trailing to the back of the store or not in immediate sight. Rue21 (another one of my stores I shop in) has their plus size department hidden from sight while the majority of the store is overrun by "normal" sizes and men's to the left. 

When I was younger and overweight, I was forced to wear clothes for those older than me so I always dressed older than I was. The most humiliating? Picture yourself in elementary school, trying to enjoy lunch when you see your classmate's grandmother wearing the same exact outfit as you. Yes, I said elementary school. 

Just because you're plus size does not mean you need to wear clothes that hide your shape, make you feel gross, ugly, or an after thought of society, nor should you have to pay a fortune to look good. Plus size clothing ranges anywhere from $20-$80, roughly. Torrid is the plus size alternative to Hot Topic though the merchandise is slightly different, it is also very expensive. 

Shopping online is tricky because you may not fit in the same size for each piece of clothing. Fit is dependent on your shape, the fabric, and overall, how it's made. I should know, I've shopped just about everywhere. Halloween is even more frustrating for plus size individuals because there is hardly anything available. Wonder Woman, Minnie Mouse, and the sexy nurse are only for the smaller figures while plus size get to look forward to a witch, a hot dog, a baggy scarecrow, a nun, and costumes that hide your figure because apparently, if you're big, you need to cover up. 

Plus size individuals have the right to feel and look sexy. Just like any individual, clothes fit everyone differently because we are different shapes and sizes. You should not have to lose weight before being recognized as beautiful or sexy. This is why I am so excited about SHEIN. If you don't know about SHEIN, it is a great online store that sells clothes for everybody and you can shop according to your budget. The other best part is that they allow for free returns in case something doesn't fit or doesn't fit like you thought it would. 

I've bought three pairs of pants from SHEIN and they fit so well. They hug my body making me feel desirable before my husband even sees me! I love their tops and dresses. SHEIN truly understands how to make a plus size woman feel and look sexy. Their clothes are affordable and they have coupons periodically that you can use to save money further. They also have different payment options that allow you to pay for your merchandise in multiple payments.

The pictures shown here (though you can't see the full shirts) are from SHEIN and I love them! I highly recommend them and give yourself the look you want and deserve! We are not just big and beautiful, but we are sexy bitches too! Thank you SHEIN for recognizing that!
To begin shopping, download the SHEIN app, create an account and you can get there by clicking my share link: https://shein.top/wgi9cpx

I'm happy to share this with you because we are individuals too. Plus size is just a label; we have every right to express our individuality and style. Remember, YOU'RE BEAUTIFUL BABY!


No comments:

Post a Comment